Wednesday 20 October 2010

A Goat in the Bush

Sometimes a friend introduces you to someone so remarkable, that you realize (not that you actually forgot) that there are so many different ways 'to be' in the world. Here is someone who lives quite peacefully right smack dab in the thick of things. Visiting him and spending an afternoon on his property with his goats and his dog and the creek and the view just puts everything in place for me. He is so not preachy or braggy. He just seems so content and so sane. Even though his home is rather off the grid,' isolated ' is not a word that I would use to describe him. 'Full' would be much better. Thank you Lynn and Nick for a wonder-full afternoon. The pasta and the wine just added to overall pleasure of spending that time with you.

5 comments:

ingrid said...

sounds amazing.
I love when someone's home, their everyday, can be such an adventure for a guest.

And of course I love wine and pasta.

Sparky's Mom said...

Beautiful Pics as always! I feel like I'm traveling the world with you! :)

Hugs.

Sparky's Mom said...

Hey there, I got your comment and I wanted to respond. I whole-heartedly agree with you on the puppy situation and I understand where you are coming from, because I feel the same way about rescues and rescue work. But I wanted to say, that this is something I "have to" do for myself. It doesn't mean that I believe any less in the fact that there are way too many dogs out there that need rescuing. And Sparky won't be my last rescued dog. I give my time and I give money to various animal causes every year. I am proud of the things I do for these causes. I feel I give my share, and a pretty big share at that. But I also know that we can't rescue them all. I don't mean that in a cold-hearted way at all. It's just the sad truth. Raising a puppy is something I need to do for myself right now. It will lead to adopting another shelter dog next year, and probably many others during the next 20, 30, or 40 years. I just want to experience this for once; I want to be there right from the start and till the very end. I don't know why I feel so strongly about it, but I think it has to do with losing Sparky and feeling cheated out of many years of his life... But I spoke of that already.

Anyhow, I appreciate your comment, and I back you on it 100% ... I hope our e-friendships survives this little disagreement.

kevel88 said...

You better take me out there when I come up this summer!!

KJ

Shelley said...

What a beautiful place. My dream house would be something adobe or earthy with cob or something. Small, and simple. LOVE simplicity. Love this man's peace.